With the new Foo Fighters album, Wasting Light, and the two singles it produced, who wouldn’t be impressed by a band that is 17 years old and for the band members that are 40+. Rope, their first single off the album, and Walk both are very impressive songs and I can see why they would be the singles. Walk just recently won the VMA for The Best Rock Video. However the music video for Rope while still a good music video, couldn’t compare to it, now that I think about it, it was actually pretty bland as far as their music videos go. For instance Walk had a story line just like Everlong and Big Me where as Rope was just the band playing in a white room with colored lights flashing around… not too impressing.
Now that I got off that tangent, it’s on to the actual album. I really enjoyed this album since the Foo Fighters stuck to their post grunge influences. The album opens up with the song Bridge Burning and immediately the song turns into this hard rock rhythm, which I really enjoy. Other songs like Rope and Walk are still very good songs, but I have a bad feeling that since these were the singles off the new album that they will almost certainly be overplayed so what I did was listen through the whole album and pick the song that I liked. My favorite was the song Alandria, the song opens up with a nice riff that is a little bit different style than what I am used to from the Foo Fighters. Then you hear Dave Grohl’s iconic singing voice, then suddenly everything, but one guitar and a calming singing tone from Grohl, ceases. Then the drums come in, and get more intense along with the guitar… gives me the jitters, and it should because the chorus is stunningly simple, but in this case less was more.
Overall this album is another one of the many great records that the band has produced. I am looking forward to seeing this band eventually enter the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame because it would make such an addition to other great bands like The Who, The Beatles, etc.
Next up is Alice in Chains’ Black Gives Way To Blue
No comments:
Post a Comment