For today’s generation the album American Idiot is the 90’s version of Nirvana’s Nevermind. Our version of rebellion towards our government and the way we have been told to live. I personally believe this is garbage, but it is the message that has been sent through this album. But other than my own personal thoughts, this was an excellent album with a great message that people should believe what they want and to live their life. It tells the story of the “Jesus of Surburbia” and “Whatsername” and their journeys in the cities and the suburban towns they come from. The melodic tones throughout the album and the harmonization of the vocalists is amazing, you would never think that an album like this could make it onto Broadway either, but it has.
Now onto my favorite song, being a bassist, I love sounds with that unmistakable bass line, like Holiday. The opening of the song is the main guitar riff, then Tré Cool bursts out of nowhere on the drums and Billie Joe’s signature voice. But my absolutely favorite part is the bass and drum solo from Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool, with Billie Joe accenting it using a megaphone while singing lyrics. The singles off the album are the title song American Idiot, Wake Me up When September Ends, Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Truly there is no bad song on this album, each song is unique and sometimes has its own style.
Overall this is an album that could define today’s generation and since this album 21st Century Breakdown has come out, but I think that album hasn’t been up to par for Green Day. I’m hoping that another album like American Idiot is put out by this band, but not a clone. But to put another album like that out, its going to be a long time and a lot of work… I think Billie, Mike, and Tré are up to the challenge. On a side note, American Idiot is also now a Broadway show in which I am hoping to see it since I have heard excellent reviews about it.
Next up is the classic Led Zepplin album… IV.
I agree with everything said, I'm personally a huge an of Green Day, but I do wish their previous albums had been mentioned. Those are how Green Day started off, how their original fanbase began, and how most people today still define them. It would have been interesting to see what your opinions on those would be
ReplyDelete