Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Nirvana's Nevermind Review

Since it is the twentieth anniversary of the sensational 90’s Nirvana album Nevermind and I knew I was going to have to do a Nirvana album anyways, it seemed like a good time.  Many of the songs off of this album have been synonymous with the grunge movement of the 90’s.  Songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit and Lithium are grunge anthems that define the teenage generation. Rebellion and anti-establishment messages a rife throughout this album and its message was heard worldwide. There isn’t one radio station that I have ever listened to that hasn’t played at least one song off of Nevermind.
The album flows very nicely which is quite a surprise considering the music doesn’t usually.  The album starts out with the famous song Smells Like Teen Spirit and although overplayed by radio stations and MTV, is still such an excellent song. Then one of my favorite songs In Bloom comes right after it and I must say that the guitar riff that starts the song caught me off guard after the last 30 seconds of Smells Like Teen Spirit because it seemed a lot calmer without Kurt Cobain’s screaming. My undisputed favorite song on this album has to be Lithium. The calmness of the song in the beginning is just a mask for the rest of the song which just opens up out of nowhere when the band just becomes alive and Cobain’s repeated “Yeas” turn back into a calm verse or two. And the way Dave Grohl can make his drums as mean or quiet as he sees fit makes the song better. “One baby to another says I’m lucky to have met you”, ahh the first line of Drain You, and it pains me to say this but I first heard this song on Guitar Hero and I regret not finding it first. This song is another one of their more famous but unfortunately overplayed songs. Now it’s time to explain the last song of the album Something in the Way/[Hidden Track], it starts off as a normal, but slow song with an acoustic guitar and Cobain singing verses and Grohl comes in on drums, Cobain’s voice is doubled, and I think I hear a violin? After another round of all of this, it goes silent for about 10 minutes. I literally thought the song was over and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose and its nothing like I’ve ever heard before but you need to check it out for yourself.
This album had its 20th anniversary this year and there is a new deluxe version with unreleased songs, concert footage, and music videos. I highly recommend this album if you do not already own it just for the simple fact that it is just pure grunge. Overall this is one of my favorite albums and it will stay in my collection for a very, very long time.
Next up is a little bit of a change, the soundtrack to the American Idiot Broadway Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment