Thursday, September 15, 2011

Red Hot Chili Peppers: I'm With You Review

When John Frusciante left The Red Chili Peppers in 2009, many were worried that the band wouldn't be able to continue touring or even being able to make another album. Well distraught fans... You have been proved dead wrong. In late august, their new album "I'm With You" was released and since then the song "The Adventures of Raindance Maggie" holds the number one spot on the Billboard top 25 rock songs. So no need to fret, RHCP is back... And with a kick

This album still has classic RHCP sound, but it's been tweaked a little bit due to the new styles of their new guitarist, Josh Klinghoffer. While he is no replacement for Frusciante, he brings his own unique style to the table that works well with the rest of the band. It seems that Kedis, Flea and Chad are able to work with Klinghoffer seamlessly. Just listen to my favorite song on the album "Factory of Faith", Flea And Chad start the song, then Kedis jumps in. In the background you can hearth funky licks off of Klinghoffer's guitar which really adds to the depth of the song, along with his distorted solo after the first chorus. Klinghoffer also took Frusciante's place on back up vocals, and while he doesn't have the range that Frusciante has, I think it sounds just as good.

Like I explained earlier, this is not the clichĂ© RHCP album where most of the songs have people going off the walls. This album, while still retaining their classic sound is mostly mellow songs about life while sticking to their funky backbone. Maybe it's their age (most of the members are 40+ now) but I still enjoy the smooth bass licks and guitar solos with Kedis' voice calming singing the lyrics, quite the change from their last album "Stadium Arcadium", but not a bad decision. 

Overall I think this is one of the best albums that The Red Hot Chili Peppers have put out to date, considering their circumstances of course.  I look forward to seeing how well the band does on tour and who knows... There may be another album in the works, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment