The Doobie Brothers have been a staple of every rock musician’s diet for several decades. Their clash of southern and “modern” rock was something new that the music scene hadn’t seen. I have loved this band from an early age due to my father, a common trend in my blogs now, who loved them. Some of our favorite songs were Listen to the Music, China Grove, and Rockin’ Down the Highway. I still remember the times going to my cottage in Plymouth when my dad would put the volume on 100 for Rockin’ Down the Highway and I was enjoying every second of it.
My dad bought the Best of the Doobies CD and it is one of my favorite CD’s. Many musicians get influences from this band because it is truly one of the best classic rock bands. My favorite song by the Doobie Brothers has to be Listen to the Music because of its overall simplicity and calming melodies. The use of an acoustic guitar, electric bass, and muffled drum set is an unusual combination for this band so it sticks out. Also the chorus has some of the best harmonization that I have heard out of most rock bands. It deeply saddens me that if I talk about this band to people my age, everyone thinks I am talking about two brothers who are “habitual marijuana cigarette smokers” (oh reefer madness…). But if I talk to people my dad’s age, they can tell me what concert they went to on what day, even what they were wearing.
This is a classic rock super group. It may not be the heaviest stuff in the world, but their music still influences many bands to this day. Just because this band has fallen out of the spotlight doesn’t mean that there aren’t millions of people who hear this band daily and don’t even realize it.
No comments:
Post a Comment