Wednesday, October 12, 2011

American Idiot Broadway Soundtrack Review

When I first heard that Green Day was starting a Broadway tour, I immediately thought they were sell outs. A year after I joined the drama club for stage crew, and I now realized that this was no small feat. I was at FYE and saw the album and I decided to buy it and see what all the hype inside drama was about, and I was completely amazed. By far this is one is the best musical soundtrack I have heard. The way all of the voices harmonize isn’t easy for anyone, but it’s great to listen to.
A few of the songs are missing off of the album though, Jesus of Suburbia is one of them and it doesn’t really hurt the album. Also there were added songs like 21 Guns, When it’s Time, and Last Night on Earth, all of which are great songs to supplement the original American Idiot songs. My personal favorite is 21 Guns the way “Whatsername” (Rebecca Naomi Jones) sings the opening verses and chorus is just filled with pure emotion and the 2nd verse; you can sense the power in her voice. The band is also second to none, the amount of instruments in the band is absolutely insane for a rock musical, there is the classic drums, guitar, and bass, then add in violins, pianos, bongos, etc. it’s just purely amazing. Another great song is Boulevard of Broken Dreams where it starts out with “The Jesus of Suburbia” (John Gallagher Jr.) singing and playing the acoustic guitar and after the first chorus the entire band and ensemble jumps in for the action.
Overall I don’t listen to musicals but this is one album that I could not afford to let slip through my fingers. It’s sitting in my collection at home now and I’m sure that I will be obsessed with it for weeks to come.
And I’m serious about this next one… a music video review for Rise Against’s Give it All.

No comments:

Post a Comment